In today’s episode on whether you need to learn German or not when you move here, we talk about:
- Why even learning school German doesn’t really prepare you for speaking the language when you get here.
- A handy tip that prevents you from trying to rephrase everything you say if someone doesn’t understand your German.
- How we both overestimated how much English was spoken by everyday Germans.
- How unhelpful it is when you say something in German and the other person tries to be helpful by replying in English.
- Suzanne’s theory as to why Germans don’t generally speak English as well as people from Scandinavian or Benelux countries.
- What big mindset change Kim went through to improve her German.
- Suzanne’s “rule” that really helped her to improve her German.
- Bilingual kids and German schools.
- The challenges that people have when learning German and what to do to overcome them.
- The best ways to learn German.
- Why you can’t get away without learning grammar!
- Why we think it’s important to learn German while you’re here (even if it’s only for a short time).
- Why comparison is futile and relaxation is the key.
- The fears that prevent you from progressing faster.
- Two very useful tools to complement language learning that can help you overcome mental blocks, and negative self-talk, increase your motivation, build your confidence, reduce anxiety, and enhance your memory and your recall of vocabulary and grammar.
- How things you experience in your childhood can influence your language learning.
- Why you’re majorly missing out if you don’t learn German (regardless of how long you’re planning to stay).
- Two funny language stories that still make us cringe.
Tools for learning German:
Google “Volkshochschule + your city” for reasonably-priced in-person language classes.
Italki language learning website/app.
Duolingo free app and web-based language learning tool
Find a tandem partner
Our next episode comes out on Friday 28th of April 2023.
So remember to press “follow” on our Thriving In Germany Podcast on your favourite podcast platform, and hit the bell 🔔 there too to be notified when the next episode is released.
Alternatively, join my email community and I’ll let you know too plus you’ll receive lots of lovely support and offers. Join here: https://suzannedinter.com/calm-and-confident
Want to get to know us better? Connect with us here:
To book a breakthrough session with Suzanne: https://appointment-suzanne-dinter-hypnosis-coaching.as.me/breakthrough
Free hypnotic download: https://suzannedinter.com/calm-and-confident/