In today’s podcast episode, Kim and I talk about our experience of navigating the German healthcare system. We also compare it to what we know about the UK (and the US). Specifically, we discuss:
- Breaking a bone – Kim’s comparison of the healthcare systems in the UK and Germany
- Suzanne’s three very different experiences with German hospitals over the years
- Public and private health insurance – how to avoid the minefield
- How your general practitioner (GP or in German, Hausarzt/Hausärtzin) works and how you can see specialist doctors and consultants
- Channelling your inner German to get what you want and need
- A tip to prepare you for a visit to the doctor’s in Germany
- How much English you can use at the doctor’s
- Hospital food!!
- Where to get basic medication like painkillers
- Where to go to get emergency medical help outside of doctors’ offices’ opening hours
- Bedside manners – or not…
- Our overall experience of the German healthcare system
- And finally, Kim’s story of how she was looked after early on in the pandemic when she got COVID
Suggested place to get advice for health insurance: https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-health-insurance
What’s your experience of the German healthcare system? Let me know in the comments below!
Our next episode comes out on Thursday 8th June 2023, so remember to press “follow” on the platform of your choice for the Thriving In Germany Podcast, and hit the bell 🔔 to be notified when the next episode is released.
Want to get to know us better? Connect with us here by clicking the links: