Today’s podcast episode is a very personal one where Kim interviews Suzanne about how she’s successfully navigated her 30-year bilingual relationship with her German husband. We talked about:
- It’s not just about the language
- Consider the reasons you might move abroad to be with your partner
- How Suzanne met her husband
- The advantages and disadvantages of having different native languages in a relationship
- Expressing emotions!
- Knowing yourself
- Is it him, is it me, or is it a German language thing?
- The fine art of arguing in a bilingual relationship
- How long it really takes to restart your life in a foreign country
- Language and kids in a bilingual family
- The language you start the relationship with is the one you stick with
- Learning to see the grey areas, rather than “good” or “bad”
- Differences in culture, upbringing, and gender play huge roles in a bilingual relationship too
- Making German friends and being spontaneous (or not)
- If and when to move to yet another country
- Bringing up kids with different cultures and ways of thinking
- Our British-German wedding
Our next episode comes out on Thursday 25th May 2023, so remember to press “follow” on the platform of your choice for The Thriving In Germany Podcast, and hit the bell 🔔 to be notified when the next episode is released.
Want to get to know us better? Connect with us here:
Book a breakthrough session with Suzanne: https://appointment-suzanne-dinter-hypnosis-coaching.as.me/breakthrough
Free hypnotic download: https://suzannedinter.com/calm-and-confident/